Healthy Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is one of those meals that is always delicious to eat, but with all the fat and carbs, it can quickly turn into eaters-remorse. Chicken Parmesan is probably one of the unhealthier dinner options we feed ourselves. It is a piece of breaded chicken covered in a sugar-filled red sauce, heaps of parmesan cheese, and is usually placed on top of a bed of carb-heavy noodles. But it tastes so good!
How do you get your fill of a Chicken Parmesan dinner without all of the unhealthy ingredients? Easy! Introducing your next favorite meal: Healthy Chicken Parmesan. This wonderful recipe replaces white bread crumbs with whole wheat, uses a less sugary sauce, and adds zucchini noodles. Instead of having a carb heavy, fattening, and hidden sugar-type meal, take out those sneaky ingredients and replace them with what is best for your body. Ready to get dinner started? Here is a tasty and healthy chicken parmesan recipe that will be all the rage at home.
Ingredients (Made to serve 4)
Chicken Parmesan and Noodles
- 2 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts (halved)
- ½ cup Whole-Wheat Panko Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
- 1 tsp. dried Oregano
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp. Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 medium Zucchini (spiralized)
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tbsp. Basil Leaves (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Green Pepper (chopped)
- 1 tsp. dried Oregano
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- ½ cup dry Red Wine
- 1 tsp. dried Basil
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, green pepper, oregano, and garlic to the pan – cooking for about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine, basil, salt, black pepper, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaves to the pan. Bring this mixture to a boil
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and set to the side.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Cut the chicken breast horizontally and pound each piece about ½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a separate dish, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, flaxseed meal, oregano, and garlic powder.
- In another separate bowl, mix together the egg whites and water, whisking together until the mixture is frothy.
- Dip the cut chicken into the egg mixture and then dip it into the bread crumb mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place coated chicken on to a baking sheet, spraying the tops of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Cook the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your sauce and spiralize your zucchini.
- Place zucchini on a paper towel on the side so any extra water can be soaked up.
- Remove chicken from oven and top each piece with 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce and 2 Tbsp. mozzarella.
- Put chicken back in oven for another 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Place some marinara sauce on your plated zucchini noodles and top with the chicken.
Thank you to Eat Yourself Skinny for the amazing recipe made healthy! May your dinners be delicious and better for you!