Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake
With colder weather comes the want for comfort food. The type of comfort food that is yummy and satisfies those sweet cravings. What better cold-weather comfort food than some homemade carrot cake? Many carrot cakes you buy at the grocery store will be loaded with sugars, oils and fats that leave you feeling guilty and unhealthy. If you fill your carrot cake with actual vegetables and other healthy ingredients, it will be naturally sweet and moist leaving your mouth happy!
If you are looking for something dessert-like to make, choose this healthier version of carrot cake! This vegan carrot cake is also oil free! This recipe is great for when you have company coming over or any fundraising bake sales that happen this winter season! It is sure to satisfy the comfort-food craving and have the company asking for the recipe.
(Recipe serves 12 pieces)
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ tbsp.. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Ground Ginger
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 tbsp. Ground Flax Seed + 6 tbsp. water)
- 1 tsp. Orange Zest
- 6 tbsp. Orange Juice
- ½ tbsp. Lemon Juice
- ½ tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Applesauce
- ¼ cup Dark Brown Sugar (Cane Sugar may also be used)
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 1 ½ cups Grated Carrots
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
- Prepare loaf pan with coconut oil (or non-stick spray)
- In a large bowl add the flax seed and water to thicken, put to the side
- In another bowl add dry ingredients together and mix
- When flax seed reaches an egg-like consistency, add the wet ingredients and whisk until combined
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until just combined – make sure not to over-mix the batter
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to even out the top
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes until cake is cooked in middle
- Remove cake from pan after it has cooled for 5 minutes in the pan, then leave cake to cool on cooling rack
Note: If you are looking for something sweeter, check out Ceara’s Kitchen for the icing recipe that goes along with the carrot cake!
Thanks to Ceara’s Kitchen for the heart warming recipe! It is one that will be loved and eaten with delight!