Sunday Recipe Makeover: Healthy Almond Cinnamon Christmas Star Cookies
Tis the season to be baking! Christmas is around the corner and that means that Christmas star cookies and all sorts of other goodies will be surrounding you. It is hard during the holiday season to avoid the temptation of indulging in these treats, as most times they are very unhealthy. Many holiday treats are loaded with excess sugars, butter, and fat! So what can you do to help avoid filling your body with all that bad stuff? Fill it with delicious healthier treats! Who says that cookies have to be terrible for you? This great Christmas “Healthy Almond Cinnamon Christmas Star cookies” recipe that will leave you feeling better about yourself! Avoid those overly sweet desserts this year and make a batch of your own.
Cinnamon and almond are the flavors that melt in your mouth and leave you feeling nostalgic (a late night sledding, cozy by the fire, warm blanket kind of feeling!). A great way to avoid using unhealthy butter is to use alternatives such as chia, coconut products, and almonds. Check out this healthy almond cinnamon Christmas star recipe and let the guilt wash away this season, because these cookies are better for you!
Ingredients (Recipe makes 2 full baking sheets)
- 2 cups Almonds (purchase pre-ground almonds if you do not have a food processor)
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Chia Seeds (ground)
- 2 tbsp. Cold Water
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 3 tsp. Cinnamon (ground)
- 1 pinch of Vanilla Powder
- 1 pinch of Powdered Xylit (decoration)
- Preheat oven to 320°F
- Grind the almonds until it is a flour-like substance
- Place the chia seeds and the water into a small bowl, whisk them together and place the mixture into the fridge for 10 minutes
- Put coconut sugar, ground almonds, cinnamon, and the vanilla powder into a food processor – mix shortly
- Add the chia mixture and the maple syrup to the food processor and mix until it becomes a doughy substance (about 30 seconds)
- Roll the dough between two pieces of baking paper (be sure to not roll the dough too thin – aim for about 5mm thickness)
- Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the cookies
- Place the stars on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes (or until golden brown)
- Let the cookies cool and enjoy!
Thank you for making our Christmas yummy and healthy!