Christmas morning is filled with excitement, joy, wonder, and…. hungry tummies! Christmas breakfast is a meal that goes hand-in-hand with stockings and new presents. Many times these breakfasts can be a bit unhealthy and involve bacon, sweet waffles, and other heavy items that leave you feeling bloated before your Christmas dinner. If you are staying in this Christmas and are unsure of what to do for breakfast, have you considered vegan crepes?
Crepes are an amazing breakfast food that is easy to make and leaves you satisfied but not feeling like you over-ate. Crepes are also a great alternative to eating a ton of carbs first thing in the morning. Plus they look pretty! Get your favorite fruits for a topping, or any other savory item you would like to fill them with. Strawberries are a great fruit to put on crepes, especially for Christmas to give it that red accent on your plate. Check out this recipe for vegan crepes and keep this in mind for your Christmas or any other holiday breakfast!
Note: This recipe requires the ingredients to sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour beforehand, so make sure you wake up early enough!
Ingredients (Recipe made to serve 12)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ cups Unflavored Soy or Almond Milk
- 3 tbsp. Vegetable Oil (may also use any other neutral oil used for baking)
- 1 tbsp. Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup Water (used to water down mixture if it is too thick)
- Place flour, salt, soy/almond milk, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk the ingredients together
- Cover and place the mixture into the refrigerator for 1 hour
- Lightly oil the surface of a non-stick frying pan and place the pan over medium heat
- When the pan has heated, place about ¼ cup of batter into the pan (this will be your test crepe!)
- Swirl the pan in a circular motion so that the entire bottom of the pan is covered with the batter
- Cook until the edges start to lift slightly away from the pan (roughly 1 minute)
- Carefully flip the crepe to the other side and cook for another 10-15 seconds
- Place the crepe onto plate
- If you notice the crepe seems thick and was difficult to swirl in the pan, slowly add a little bit of water to your mixture
- Lightly re-oil your pan for each crepe
- Continue making one crepe at a time, adjusting the mixture slightly by adding water to the batter if needed
- Serve crepes with your favorite fruit or savory item
May your Christmas morning be delicious and filling!
Thank you to ConnoisseurusVeg for the vegan crepe recipe![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]