Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Summer is the best month for desserts! It is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy the sunshine, have a cold drink, and eat the freshest fruity desserts that the season has to offer. One of the most enjoyed summer fruits is, of course, strawberries! These plump and juicy berries are a sweet and great addition to any summer snack. Strawberry ice cream, strawberry cheesecake, strawberry pie, and the classic… strawberry shortcake!
Craving a summer treat that doesn’t leave you with those feelings of guilt and unhealthiness? Try this amazing ‘Vegan Strawberry Shortcake’ and serve it to your summer guests. This recipe uses only the freshest strawberries you can find, a small amount of cane sugar, and creamy coconut milk. The next time you host a backyard BBQ or have family and friends over for drinks on the patio, serve this refreshing, delicious, and healthy alternative. Try this recipe for vegan strawberry shortcake and you will be the queen/king of desserts all summer long!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup Cane Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (best cold)
Whipped Coconut Cream
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Cane Sugar (blended into fine sugar)
- Coconut Cream
- 1 lb. Strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. Cane Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and mix them into a bowl with the cane sugar and lemon juice.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate it while making the rest of the recipe.
- For the shortcake, mix together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, and cane sugar in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut milk and lemon juice – blend until the mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and mix until just combined and the dough is slightly sticky. Do not overmix!
- Dust the countertop and your hands with some flour and then pat the dough out until it is about ¾ inch thick.
- Cut out 8 biscuits, using the rim of a glass or a circle cookie cutter, and place these on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, begin to make the whipped coconut cream by scooping out a thick layer of the coconut cream and mixing it with the sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk the mixture with an electric mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Once all parts of the recipe are ready, layer a scoop of strawberries and whipped coconut cream on to a biscuit, and then top with another biscuit.
- Garnish with additional strawberries or leftover whipped cream.
Thank you to CearasKitchen.com for this amazing and fruity dessert recipe! https://www.cearaskitchen.com/vegan-strawberry-shortcake/