Fresh Pineapple Salsa
Summer is the time for trips to the farmer’s market to get the best fresh ingredients! Tomatoes, dill, peppers, apples… an abundance of fruit and vegetables are just waiting to be used for your summer meals! Fresh ingredients are a great way to add some heart healthy foods to your plate, while giving your meal some colour and extra flavour. Not sure what to make with all these amazing ingredients at your fingertips? Why not try a fruity and flavourful appetizer to enjoy all summer long!
Make this fresh pineapple salsa recipe as a great addition to any meal or the perfect appie dish to share with friends and family. Head to your nearest farmer’s market or local food store to gather the best ingredients to be used in this salsa. No need to jar it! This recipe takes only a quick 15 minutes and has minimal calories, but maximum taste! Try this heart healthy salsa this summer and serve it right in the pineapple!
Ingredients (Serves 6 people)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 Small Red Onion (chopped)
- 1 Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Pineapple
- Lime Juice
- ½ cup Cilantro (chopped)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Black Pepper (optional)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- To create the pineapple bowl, cut 1/3 of the pineapple side off using a sharp knife.
- Cut the edges of the inside of the pineapple, making sure not to cut through to the bottom.
- Cut the pineapple remaining inside into smaller pieces and then carefully remove the insides with a spoon.
- Chop up the pineapple you have removed.
- In a bowl add the chopped pineapple, tomatoes, red onion, pepper, and cilantro and mix together.
- Squeeze out the juice of one lime into the mixture and add the salt.
- Stir until combined, adding black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Pour the salsa mixture back into the pineapple bowl and serve with corn chips.
Try this refreshing summer salsa and eat it as a side or add it to other dishes! A big shout-out to VeganHeaven.org for this delicious and healthy recipe!