Vegan Coconut Cauliflower Bites
One of the best things about gorgeous summer weather is the many opportunities to eat delicious foods in the great outdoors. Hosting fire-pit roasts, having drinks on the patio, and enjoying appetizers with friends while sipping margaritas! But when it comes time to host these events, do you find yourself in the frozen foods section of the grocery store, grabbing pre-made snacks?
Mozzarella sticks, breaded chicken bites, poppers, springs rolls and other hors d’oeuvres seem the popular items we gravitate to. Unfortunately, although they may taste ‘good enough’ once heated up, these quick snacks are often extremely unhealthy. High amounts of sugar, trans fats, and sodium are used to keep these foods fresh for longer and are less than ideal choices if you want to care for your heart health. Instead, skip the processed, pre-made appetizers at the store and try this healthy alternative Coconut Cauliflower Bites recipe!
These delicious and easy-to-make appetizer bites are perfect to share with friends, flavourful, and an amazing substitute to the frozen section options! With a few simple ingredients, you can make these vegan and dairy free bites that are affordable and wholesome. Trust us, your heart will thank you for making this simple switch! Take a look at this tasty recipe from Spec of Gold, and get ready to be the master host/hostess at your next gathering!
Cauliflower Bite Ingredients
- ½ Cauliflower Head
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Coconut (shredded)
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk (Soy, Almond, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Vinegar
- Vegetable oil
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- Small jar of orange Marmalade
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
Cauliflower Bite Directions
- Take out three separate bowls that will be used to dip the cauliflower bites into.
- After cutting your cauliflower in half, wash it thoroughly, and chop it up into bite sized pieces for use.
- Add your plant milk and vinegar into a bowl, stirring until combined. Let the mixture sit for roughly 5-10 minutes until the mixture is a thick buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, add your panko bread crumbs, coconut flakes, and salt. Stir until combined.
- In a third bowl, add your flour and put to the side.
- Place a frying pan over your stove top on medium heat, filling oil until the pan is about half-way full.
- Let the oil heat up until you see bubbles when a wooden spoon is placed in the oil.
- Dip each cauliflower bite first into the flour, then the buttermilk mixture, and finally into the coconut and bread crumb mixture.
- Place the coated cauliflower bites into your heated oil and let them fry unlit they turn lightly browned.
- Remove the cauliflower bites and place them on to a plate with paper towel to remove excess oil.
Dipping Sauce Directions
- In a small bowl, mix thoroughly together the orange marmalade and the hot sauce.
- Serve alongside the finished vegan coconut cauliflower bites!
A big thank you to Spec of Gold for sharing their recipe and images with us and giving us healthy alternatives to keep our hearts in tip-top shape!