Vegan Chai Latte Donuts
The leaves are turning colour, and the first day of fall is only a few weeks away! You know what that means… Time for the seasonal flavors of fall to overwhelm our senses!
There is nothing better than bundling up for a chilly day, grabbing a warm beverage, and biting into a delicious mouth-watering pastry! Pumpkin scones, cinnamon buns, and other seasonal snacks are displayed in every café window now, and it is hard to avoid the tasty treats. But if you fall to temptation too often, your health can start to be affected. Each of these seasonal pastries are often loaded with sugars, preservatives, and fats.
Instead of purchasing these sugary (albeit delicious) snacks too often, why not make something that is just as tasty but healthier for your heart? Chai Latte Donuts!
This fantastic Vegan Chai Latte Donut recipe by ChoosingChia.com is the perfect alternative that will satisfy the fall cravings and keep our hearts healthy! These donuts are gluten free, vegan, totally mouth-watering, and are made in a quick 30 minutes. A perfect snack that uses healthier ingredients than those found in the Starbucks and Tim Hortons near your home. Want them a bit sweeter? Add the optional Maple Glaze on top! Next time you are tempted to go and eat a pre-made pastry, try making these easy donuts and get the most out of fall flavours!
Donut Ingredients (Makes 12 donuts)
- 2 cups Flour (gluten free or regular)
- ½ cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Allspice
- ¼ tsp. Cardamom (ground)
- ¼ tsp. Cloves (ground)
- ½ tsp. Ginger (ground)
- 1 1/3 cup Almond Milk
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil (melted and cooled)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Maple Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 2-3 tsp. Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Use cooking spray to grease a donut pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, cloves, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract).
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until combined – do not over mix it!
- Place the donut mixture into a piping bag and pipe the batter into circles in the donut pan – filling it ¾ of the way full.
- Bake the donuts in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the donuts are baking, if you want to make the glaze, mix together all the glaze ingredients until it is smooth and silky in appearance.
- Remove the donuts when done and let them cool.
- Once the donuts are cooled, dip them into the maple glaze and then let the dipped donuts sit for about 30 minutes for the glaze to set.
Thank you so much to Jess from ChoosingChia.com for sharing her heart-healthy donut recipe that is the perfect alternative to keep our hearts healthy and our sweet-tooths satisfied! For more great recipes made healthy, be sure to check out her website for more foodie ideas!