Buffalo Chickpea Taquitos
Eating heart-healthy can be difficult and it takes a great effort to plan and organize meals and snacks that will be good for your body. It can be especially difficult when those cravings for bites in front of the tv come calling. Chips, candy, dips, baked goods, and maybe even frozen mozzarella sticks will be placed in front of you and demolished, leaving you feeling bloated and a little more than gross.
What if we told you there was a solution to get the tasty snacks for movie-night without adding in all the trans-fat, sugars, and other ‘garbage’ (as moms would say!). Say hello to you next favourite and HEALTHY alternative snack… Buffalo Chickpea Taquitos! This mouth-watering recipe from elavegan.com is just what we were craving when searching for a tasty snack for those stay-home evenings!
This recipe is gluten-free, totally vegan, and easy to make! The time it would take you to go to the grocery store, buy frozen snacks, unpack them, put them in the oven, and sit down to eat is almost equivalent to the 35 minutes it takes to make these satisfying taquitos! Take a look at how elavegan.com has taken a typical taquito recipe and put a heart-healthy twist on it. Natural ingredients, tons of flavour, and the perfect snack for any evening or event!
Buffalo Chickpea Sauce Ingredients (serves 10)
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups Cooked Chickpeas
- ½ cup Tomato Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Plant-Based Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
Spice Mix Ingredients
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- ¾ tsp Coconut Sugar
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- Sea Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Chili Powder to taste
- 10 small Tortillas (gluten-free)
- Vegan Cheese Sauce or a favourite dipping sauce
- Preheat oven to 410° F
- In a small bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, add together all of the spice mix ingredients and stir together, put aside.
- Add the oil, onion, and bell pepper into a pan and heat over medium heat, cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spice mixture into the pan and sauté the mixture for another minute.
- Then add the remaining sauce ingredients as well as the mashed chickpeas into the pan and allow the mixture to reach a boil.
- Once boiling, let the mixture simmer on low heat for roughly 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the mixture and add salt, pepper, or chili powder as desired, removing from heat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- In each of your small tortillas, add about 2 Tbsp. of your sauce mixture and roll each up tightly, placing them seam-side down i=onto the baking sheet.
- Once all tortillas have been filled, rolled, and put in a row on your baking sheet, lightly brush them with vegetable oil.
- Bake the taquitos for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Drizzle with vegan cheese sauce or add your favourite dipping sauce on the side and enjoy!