Due to limited resources, children in developing countries can’t access high-quality medical and cardiac care. Thanks to Save a Child’s Heart, there is hope. Sick children are getting a second chance at life because a small group of medical professionals donate their time and talent. Thousands of patients in the pediatric cardiac surgical unit at Wolfson Medical Center in Holon, Israel are being saved because of their efforts.
About this Charity:
Founded in Toronto in 1999, the foundation was created with one vision in mind: to save children’s lives. Through its programs in Israel and abroad, Save a Child’s Heart provides life-saving cardiac treatment while training local health care professionals to develop the skills needed to deliver quality care.
Thanks to generous donations, children from developing countries with congenital and acquired heart defects are receiving the medical support they need. To increase its reach outside of Israel, Save a Child’s Heart is training medical personnel from developing countries. The charity is also creating ‘Centers of Competence’ around the world to empower local medical personnel to provide life-saving services on their own. This full outreach training program brings doctors and nurses to Israel for comprehensive, post-graduate training. They also send staff overseas to provide education to local medical professionals, as well as perform side-by-side surgeries with them.
Ways to support this charity:
- Donate – make a donation, big or small – every bit counts! All online donations are tax-deductible.
- Volunteer – donate your time! volunteer opportunities provide an in-depth look into Save a Child’s Heart. Organize activities and act as a friend to children and their escorts during their stay in Israel. Volunteers are also exposed to different cultures and languages.
- Intern – gain experience through working with staff in Save a Child’s Heart’s main office.
- Medical intern – learn about the organization’s impact on global health by participating in a two-week medical internship . *Applications are accepted year-round and positions offered on a rolling admission basis. To be considered, students must be enrolled in a recognized medical school.
- Visit the house – witness the impact the organization has on the lives of sick children and their families. Individual and group visits encouraged!
- Fundraising and awareness – gather your friends and co-workers to raise money for this worthy cause. It costs approximately $15,000 USD to save a child’s life. Through donations, Save a Child’s Heart is able to fulfill it’s mission and vision, while building awareness.
Why this Charity is Heartwarming:
Save a Child’s Heart has saved more than 5,300 children from 62 countries in Africa, South America, Europe, Asia, and throughout the Middle East. The charity has also trained more than 110 medical team members from these countries. Its mission is to “Mend hearts and build bridges.”